I re-covered a chair!
It is cat approved. I'm very proud of myself, which might be a little silly, considering that I covered this chair once before. Unfortunately, the previous fabric wasn't washable, and it got to be that I really needed it to be washable. I didn't save any patterning information the first time I made the chair cover, so I had to restart it again from scratch.
I was looking forward to finding some fun fabric to use instead just a dark blue. I found this flock of birds fabric at a discount store in San Francisco, and it has the added benefit of being washable. I pre-washed it on hot before sewing anything. I'm hoping that the busy print will help hide the fact that it's the cats' favorite place to sleep.
I made a pattern by draping pattern material over the back of the chair and pinning it in place. It took me quite a while, and in the end it came out pretty good. I didn't sew the seams tightly enough, however, so there was extra fabric bunching in a few places. I folded it under in inconspicuous places and hand-stitched it down. The sides of the chair are where it's the most obvious, but I count it as being still pretty nice.
And it's not so noticeable from a distance. The seat was pretty easy to make. It's a big circle, which I gathered slightly around the edges. I then stitched a large rectangle (joined into a loop) to it, and finished the other side of the rectangle with some elastic so that it pulls up underneath the chair.
I'm so happy with our newly redecorated chair!