This summer, my brother texted and said that he'd like me to make a quilt for him to hang in his office. I was flattered, of course, that he would choose to have his office artwork be something I made.
We talked about what he might like, the main thing being that he likes orange a lot. I showed him a pinboard I made of quilts that he thought he'd like, and he chose one of them. (He liked Sedimentary best, except with more orange.)
I got the orange message pretty clearly, so I bought several orange solids and geometric prints online and made this stack. He approved.
I tried to follow the Sedimentary basic shape at first, but I wasn't happy with it. Probably because it wasn't something that I was creating myself. So I cut up what I did and sewed it together and made a 15 x 11 square that I liked. I did that 11 more times to make the bulk of the quilt.
I made sure each block had at least one place where a 1/2 inch strip of blue was inserted, thus giving me a name for my quilt and also a little bit of interest. I wasn't sure about whether to sash the blocks or not, and I decided on just two vertical sashes to empasize the length of the quilt.
After some foundation quilting, I added some curvy lines to contrast with all of the straight piecing.
The back was made mostly with large leftover pieces from the quilt top. Although that orange at the top didn't quite fit with the other oranges, so it only appears on the back.
I'm happy with how it turned out, and my brother seems to be as well. I asked him to send me a picture once he gets it in his office.
(For the record, this is my penultimate Xmas gift post. More knitting to come.)