Let's continue showcasing Liberty fabric with this Alma blouse I made.
This is the second time I've made Alma (The first one is alas unblogged-- I could have sworn I blogged it!). I started it last fall and planned to do the version with the mid-length sleeves. However, when I tried on the blouse after the first sleeve, the sleeve pulled horribly near my armpit. It was unattractive and not comfortable. In frustration, I put the project away for several months.
I pulled it back out again this spring. I mean, I had put all of that time in getting the rick rack around the collar just right, and this was my special Liberty fabric.
Since the cap sleeve had worked before, I decided to try a version of it again. The sleeve doesn't go all the way around the armhole-- the bottom is finished off with bias tape-- so there isn't that pulling problem that I had on the first attempt. I modified the sleeves to have a tulip shape, taking the recipe from Gertie's New Book for Better Sewing. I was worried that the sleeves were too poufy, but my friends have assured me that they look OK.
I don't know if you can see in the above photos, but there are actually cats in the paisely design. It's a kind of subtle way to include some cat geekiness into my wardrobe. Also, the background of the fabric is a light grey, as apposed to a white. I like it.
Speaking of cat geekiness, here's some proof that I was working on this last fall when Oberon was still little.
I'm happy with this blouse and I wear it often. I've since made a third version of Alma, and I wouldn't be surprised if there are more to come. I need to figure out that sleeve fit issue sometime because I would like a long sleeved version as well.