When I saw that Sewaholic had a new dress pattern out, I knew I would be trying it soon. It has so many details I like, and I've been trying to sew more patterns from independent designers.
I decided pretty quickly which fabric I would like to use. I got a great black and white linen print from JoAnn fabric a few months ago, and I used it to try out Vogue 1175. Unfortunately, my first go at that dress did not go well, and I determined that it was unfixable and I tossed it.
So I bought that fabric again. I finished the bolt, too, so I was lucky that I got back to it in time.
I made a FBA to this pattern, and it ended up fitting well. I made the full-skirted version, but I used the A-line skirt for the lining. Sewaholic has a lot of tutorials up about this pattern, and I referenced a few of them while I was making this dress.
I love the pockets, The skirt's side seams in the full-skirted version are shifted a little bit towards the front, which makes the pockets sit forward as well. I used the tutorial to attach the lining fabric to the zipper, but I did have problems zipping up the dress afterwards because the fabric was sewn too close to the zipper teeth. Next time I'll have to move my stitching out a bit.
I was a little disappointed that the sweetheart curves are different between the two sides. (This is my fault not the pattern's fault.) It's not as noticeable here as it is to me in the mirror, so perhaps that means I shouldn't worry about it so much. I'm planning to wear this dress a lot anyway!
Overall, I really like the dress, and I'm impressed with the pattern. Sewaholic has a new trousers pattern out now-- maybe someday I'll actually attempt a pair!