I decided I needed to make a dress for my school's auction this year. I've kind of become known for making a lot of my clothes, and this was a great time to show off something I made. I started a few months ago, knowing that I had my surgery coming up and that I had to finish the quilt in time also!
When I saw Vogue 1175, I got pretty obsessed with it! Those lines are so different, and it looked challenging in an interesting way. I got a nice linen print to make a test dress, and it ended up being something I couldn't salvage. But! It allowed me to make the necessary changes to have this dress turn out great.
I got this fabric at Joanne's, and it was in the red-tag clearance section. It was $4 a yard. I had been hoping for a brown/copper dress, and I love the way this color changes in the light.
I had to make a lot of changes to have this pattern work. I shortened the straps so the v-neck wouldn't be so plungy. This made the back pieces gap strangely, so I took some tucks in the pattern tissue before I cut out the pieces for this second dress. Shortening the straps also made the dress shorter, so I added two inches to the bottom. I sewed the pleats down partway down the dress, to help define more of a waist.
This dress is so comfortable, and it also has pockets! It was not easy to put together precisely, especially with all of those pleats that go around a corner. But it was fun, and it was fun to make.
I was nervous about wearing the dress to the auction, but I got so many compliments on it, even several days after the auction. It was so fun to wear. Two of my friend have asked me if I would be willing to make one for them, and I'm considering it!