I realized when I was getting to the yoke of my striped cardigan that I would soon be running out of yarn. Out of all three colors of the yarn. Since I started this sweater without much planning, I cannot say that this was a huge surprise. It was inconvenient, however, because I really did want to finish the sweater. Since the brown yarn was commercially dyed, I hoped that the color would not be too different between dye lots and ordered a skein. (Fortunately, I was right!) The pink and orange yarns were more problematic, since they were hand dyed by indie dyers. I decided that the corrugated ribbing had to go.
Since I started knitting up from the ribbing, I couldn't just frog it. Frogging knitting from the wrong direction is fiddly and No Fun. So instead, I snipped the yarn at the top of the corrugated ribbing and started un-knitting it. I captured the orange loops from the row above on a needle as I went.
This was also fiddly, but I had a row of nicely picked up stitches at the end, and also a button band that was easy to frog.
I carefully took out all the pink and orange yarn, washed it, and knitted it into the yoke. I didn't have quite enough to finish the entire yoke, but I'm OK with having a larger stripe of brown at the top. I redid the ribbing at the bottom in solid brown, with a twisted 1x1 rib.
And now the sweater is ready for steeking!