The second quilt I had in our school auction was really quite awesome, I must say. Has a good idea ever hit you when you take a break and finally relax? Well, less than four hours into my spring break this year, I got an idea I was so excited about I wished I could actually get back to school and get started on it!
I have a lot of fabric scraps leftover from the time when I used to quilt a lot (and I quilted even more obsessively than I knit now!). I was looking for a way to use them up. I took some Steam-a-Seam fusible webbing, and I ironed the scraps onto one side of the sheet of fusible webbing, leaving the paper attached to the back side.
At school, my co-teachers and I cut the sheets of scraps up so they were individual pieces of fabric. We then handed the children 6 inch squares of muslin and told them to cut out shapes from the fabric however they liked to decorate the square. They cut out shapes, pulled the paper off the back of the fusible webbing, and then we permanently ironed all of the pieces down.
The children really took to this project. The medium was simple enough to understand, but there was so much room for creativity. Even the older boys (who I was worried about because they can be quite macho) really enjoyed the project and made some really creative contributions. After a very busy couple of weeks, with all but one child participating, and with many children making several squares, we had enough blocks for a 54" x 66" quilt. They were so proud of it, and I'm so happy with the result!
The quilt ended up going for $320 at the auction. The other one went for $155. Yay for quilts!