I liked the Side Slip Cloche I made for my cousin-in-law so much that I wanted one for me as well. Also, I just got a new coat (for 60% off!) and I really, really wanted a red hat to go with it.
Since the yarn was a lot thinner than what the pattern called for, I had to make some changes. I made a swatch and figured out my gauge was 8 sts/inch, while the pattern used 5 sts/inch. I have to admit that I just guessed and checked to make the ruffles the right size and then I knit the band to the correct length. I re-calculated the number of stitches to pick up around the band, and knit to the specified length. Since my row gauge was a lot closer to the pattern (9 rows/inch vs. 8 rows/ inch), I decided to decrease at 8 points intstead of at 6. This way I would be decreasing a lot more stitches in a similar number of rows. This all seemed to work nicely!
When I linked the hat in my previous post, I realized that the model was wearing the ruffle over her right ear instead of her left. I liked her look a little bit better, so I made the switch.
So for all of you who commented that you'd like to make this hat: you should! I love the look, and it's quite nice to wear in cold weather.