It took me a really long time to start knitting my second Dahlia sock. I knit the majority of the first sock on a train ride home from Boston, just after getting some bad news. Whenever I looked at that sock, I could remember the worry and sadness I felt while I was knitting it.
I decided that for the second sock, I would choose a happy time to start knitting it so I could counteract the bad effects of the first one. I cast on on January 1, the day after our wedding. Things were going swimmingly, and I got into a good rhythm on the first leg of my plane ride home. Unfortunately, that plane was late and I missed the connecting flight by minutes (I saw the plane leaving the gate) and I had to spend the night in Phoenix. I stopped knitting that sock for awhile.
Slowly I started making progress again on the sock, and I finally finished it. There are sad memories in the sock, but there are also a lot of happy ones. And a fair amount of rueful acknowledgment of irony, too.
Pattern: Dahlia by Sundara Murphy (this was a Petals Collection pattern)
Yarn: Sundara Sock in Dahlia
Needles: US 1
Modifications: The chart calls for all of the knit stitches in the pattern to be twisted. I did this, with exception of when I came upon the yarnover of the previous row. I knit those stitches untwisted. This let the lace pattern be a more open.
When I started this sock, I didn't realize that a larger US1 existed than what I had. So I started on the pattern with my 2.25mm needles. Fortunately, the twisted ribbing is quite stretchy, so the only place that the smaller needle was not great was in the instep. On the second sock, I made the heel flap a little longer and it fits a little better.
This was my first time taking pictures in my new light box. It was fun to use! It turns out that Philana was also quite interested in it, and she was inside it within seconds. I think she feels quite at home in there.
By the way, this Dahlia sock is the tenth sock I've finished from my original eleven singles. I'm finishing them up!