Last March, while David and I were on the train on the way to the airport, we had a conversation about mittens. Wouldn't it be nice, he opined, if there were mittens with the index finger separated off, so you get more dexterity but also keep your other fingers warm. A glitten, if you will. I thought that was kind of a silly idea, and told him as much. We arrived at his mother's house in San Francisco that evening to find that she was making a glitten.
Well, after that, there was no stopping him. When I announced to him this fall I would like to make him a pair of gloves or mittens, he carefully looked over my Selbuvotter and Folk Knitting in Estonia books, and selected Annemor #17 because he thought it would be easiest to convert to glittens.
Pattern: Annemor #17 from Selbuvotter by Terri Shea
Yarn: Dale Baby Ull #2908 (orange) and Claudia's Handpainted in Argyle, 1 50g skein each
Needles: US 2.5 Knit Picks DPNs
Along the way, I had to make various other changes. We didn't like how the thumb traditionally came off of the palm in these patterns, and I added palm stitches and make the thumb come out from the side instead. This was also helpful for up-sizing the pattern, as it was sized for a woman's hands in the book. Also, since the chart only came up partway on his hand, I repeated the band on the cuff and started the finger chart without separating the fingers off. It was easy to just knit three of the fingers together instead of making them all individually.
I also reversed the wave chart on the cuff for the second glitten, because I just like to do that. You'll also notice that the cuffs look pretty different. I've learned that when I do combination knitting, the yarn in my left hand is more prominent. One I figured that out, I started always knitting with the background color in my right hand, and things worked out nicely.
I've found colorwork knitting on an airplane really maximizes the wow factor with my non-knitting passengers. On one flight, the stewardess was exclaiming over the glitten I was finishing, and I gave her the first one to examine. She immediately said "Oh, I have to show this to someone." and took off! Too funny.
All in all, I'm very satisfied with this FO. It really satisfied my colorwork urge (which plagues me often), and I got to make a lot of interesting modifications along the way. And David is happy with his warm, interesting glittens!