I modified it too much. Or, ahem, I was a little too optimistic on how few inches around it needed to be. Negative ease, while it looks good in some things, does not look good in this sweater. I knew this when I was working on the sweater, but somehow I managed to convince myself to soldier through. It didn't look that bad. Maybe I could give it to my mom.
I finished the sweater, stretched it out as much as I could during blocking, and wore it on a Saturday. I changed out of it when we went out to dinner that night. Clearly, this was not good enough. If I'm spending time on a sweater, I had better want to wear it outside my house when it's done.
Analysis: I like the sleeves a lot, but everything from the chest down doesn't work. It's also a little too short as is, and I want a different finish at the bottom.
I decided to cut off the hemmed edge instead of undoing all of those stitches. It was both strange and fun to cut through the knitted fabric.
Work on this sweater has begun again. I added six short rows in the bust, and added a few increases. I also will not be decreasing so rapidly (if at all) this time. And if I start feeling like I need to "soldier through", it's time to re-evaluate how it's really fitting.